Why do we need to either sketch our own designs to trace, or combine several unique images and words?
Why can’t we just trace an image we found online?
What is the difference between using imagery in class and in a commercial portfolio?
Today we will:
– discuss copyright and fair use
– work on our posters
By the end of today’s class, you should create a new blog post with the following:
– a PDF of your progress
– any images you have used in your poster
– a paragraph describing how any images you have used fit under fair use
Section 107 of U.S. Copyright Law considers the following four factors when determining fair use:
- The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
- The nature of the copyrighted work
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
- The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
Read more about copyright law and fair use here.
If you’re wondering why your teacher seems to care so much about copyright, originality, and fair use, it’s because she has stake in the game: