This tutorial will teach you two skills – how to turn an image into a sketch, and how to blend two images with a gradient mask.
- Start with a color photo:
- Make two copies of the Background layer (Layer -> Duplicate Layer) and name them Layer 1 and Layer 1 copy.
- Desaturate layer 1 copy. (Image -> Adjustments -> Desaturate)
- Duplicate Layer 1 copy to Layer 1 copy 2.
Invert this layer. (Image -> Adjustments -> Invert)
- Change the Blend Mode of Layer 1 copy 2 to Color Dodge. The image should turn completely white with the possibility of a few small black spots. This is normal.
- Go to Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur.
- Experiment with the size of the radius until you are happy with the sketch effect you have created:
- With Layer 1 copy 2 highlighted press SHIFT and click on Layer 1. This will highlight the top three layers.
- Group these layers into a folder. (Layer -> Group Layers) Click the Add Layer Mask button at the bottom right hand side of the screen.
- A Layer Mask will form on Group 1 Layer. The Blend Mode will be set to Pass Through.
- At the top of the layers palette, change the Blend Mode to Normal.
- Click the Gradient Tool.
Make sure that the Foreground Colors are set to Black/White.
- Go to the Gradient Editor on the top left side of the screen and click on the Foreground to Background.
- Here is the tricky part. Click and drag the gradient tool across the part of the image you would like to fade. You will have to experiment to see the effect you want.