Today’s essential question: How will I turn my paper sketch into a vector design in Adobe Illustrator?
Today we will begin tracing over our t-shirt design sketches in Adobe Illustrator.
We will view a demo at the Smart Board and then follow these steps:
- Open Adobe Illustrator.
- Select “New Print Document” from the pop up screen.
- Create a new file in Adobe Illustrator with the following guidelines:
- Place the photo you took last class the file you just created. (File -> place) (DO NOT try to open your photo in Illustrator! This will cause strange things to happen.)
- Create a new layer by clicking on the “new layer” button at the bottom of the layers palette on the right side of the screen.
- Go to the toolbar on the left size of the screen and select the pen tool.
- Trace over your first shape. (You may need to decrease the opacity of this layer so you can see what you are tracing. You can do this by clicking on the transparency icon on the right side of the screen and decreasing the opacity so it is below 100. )
- Bring the opacity back 100% and adjust the color if necessary.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you are happy with your vector illustration.
- Save your Illustrator file, and then save a version as a .pdf
- Create a new blog post with the PDF of your progress. I do not expect you to finish your design, but I do expect you to post what you worked on today.
Today we will:
- Review how to vectorize a design in Adobe Illustrator
- Create a new print document in Adobe Illustrator, place the photo of our sketch in this file, and begin tracing over design in Illustrator
- Save the file as a PDF and post today’s progress to our blog