Welcome to Media! Today we will set up our Google Drives and blogs. By the end of this class you should:
Part 1: Setting up a WordPress account
If you have a WordPress account from last year, skip to Part 2.
- Click here to set up a WordPress account. (This will be your Media class blog.) You may choose any free template you like, but keep in mind that you will need to post both text and images, so you should pick a template that supports both of these requirements well. Use your real email address – you will have to verify your email in order to publish blog posts.
- Log into your email account, open the email from WordPress, and click on the link to verify your email address.
Part 2: Logging into your district Gmail account
- Click here to log into your district Gmail account. Your username will be your student ID # @rcsd121.org.) Ex. email@example.com, and your password is your district computer password. (Your district gmail account has unlimited storage space and will give you access to DropBox, which is a great free way to back up your files.)
- Email Ms. Lawson (steph at stephlawson.com) from your district Gmail account. You will not receive credit if you email me from another email client. Your email should include:
- Your first and last name
- A link to your WordPress blog. For example, “Stephanie Lawson – My blog URL is SOTAmedialab.wordpress.com.”
Part 3: Publishing your first blog post
- Post an image by following these steps:
- Go to images.google.com
- type in what you are looking for (ex. “cutest kitten in the world”)
- click on the image you want to download
- control +click -> save images as
- save the image to your desktop
- Click on the “add media” button
- Click on “upload files”
- Click on “select file”
- Select the image you want to insert
- Write a paragraph with the answers to the following questions:
1. What do you hope to accomplish, learn, or create in Media this year?
2. What are 5 of your current favorite songs that could be played in class?
3. Whose is responsible if the computer crashes and your project disappears? What will happen?
4. How will you back up your work?
5. When is food allowed in the Media Lab?
6. List the circumstance under which I may refuse to offer you extra help:
7. List some easy ways to gain participation points:
8. List some easy ways to lose participation points:
9. Do you have access to a digital camera (this includes a cell phone camera)? Do you feel comfortable using this camera for class projects?
- Click “publish” at the bottom of the screen to publish your post.
If you have time, set up the “About” page on your blog.
Need help? Please follow the following process:
- Check the blog
- Ask two classmates
- Still stuck? Raise your hand and Ms. Lawson will help you as soon as she is available.
Homework: Fill out and return signed course criteria sheet and walking field trip permission slip form. Anyone who returns it by the next class will receive 5 bonus points on their lowest project grade this marking period. If your parent emails me by this Friday, September 4th, you will receive another 5 bonus points. This is an easy was to raise your project grade by an entire letter.
Welcome again! We are going to have so much fun.